House of Charity was founded in July of 1952 by Brother de Paul to feed and house the men he saw begging on or around Nicollet Island.
By spring of 1954, House of Charity had fed more than 50,000 meals on a fewtables in a tiny warehouse on Nicollet Island.
500 people were served holiday dinner and given a small gift. Parents who couldn’t afford gifts for their children were given toys and books.
Just months after celebrating 20 years, the first meal in the new Food Centre on Park Avenue was served on Thanksgiving Day.
Brother de Paul and 300 friends celebrated House of Charity’s 30th anniversary by paying “a loving tribute to the handicapped.”
In summer of 2020, our Park7 affordable housing project was completed, furnished and occupied. Park7 is a life-saving facility in the heart of downtown.
On January 1, 2021, House of Charity and St. Stephen’s Human Services merged and became one organization. Choosing a name for our merged organization is ongoing.
The merging of our two organizations will expand and improve existing programs and allow us to better serve our most vulnerable neighbors.